Friday 7 December 2012

One Day book review

I have been meaning to read this book for ages and ages and ages and ages, AND I finally got around to reading it last week. - this review has Major spoilers in it D: soorry, I don't know how to write it without giving away some of what happens. I need to learn!-

A little bit from the blurb:
Emma and Dexter meet for the first time on the night of their graduation. Tomorrow they must go their separate ways. So where will they be on this one day next year? And the year after that? And every year that follows? Twenty years, two people, ONE DAY.

After agreeing to being just friends Em and Dex go their separate ways promising to keep in touch with each other through letters. 
Each chapter is written on the 15th of July each year, so we only read what happens that day of that year. Although to keep the story line going David Nicholls writes the main events to be either in the future or have just been, because realistically all the drama and events that would happen wouldn't fall on the same day in July.
I think the way Nicholls wrote it is really good. For example, he didn't write the scene where Dex's mum died, instead he mentioned it and then focused more on how Dex dealt with it.

I enjoyed reading the book this way, like a snapshot of Em and Dex's year, and it makes the book flow nicely. Also you can really see how Dex's character develops during his younger days to when hes older and mature. 

Although I will say, one scene I didn't really enjoy was when Em died. I could sense right from when Em and Dex was having the argument in the morning to then missing each other's phone calls and leaving voice mails, and then it started to rain while she was riding a bike that she wasn't going to make it to the end of the book. But when the scene actually comes, it just all seemed a bit too -I don't know what word to use- blunt? quickly? I cant remember exactly how it was worded but I read it like, 'and then she died'.
Like that was it. FIN.
 hmm i'm not sure. If anyone else read it in that sort of way leave a comment, because I feel like that kind of, not ruined the book exactly but it didn't 'pull at my heart strings' as I thought it should have.
BUT how Nicholls wrote the first anniversary of Em's death and how Dex coped with it, that did pull on my heart strings and I was feeling Dex's emotional turmoil.

Overall I REALLY enjoyed this book and I recommend you go out and grab a copy, even though I just gave some spoilers away D: but not all of them!
Now I just have to watch the film. And I have a feeling its going to be a good'en!

Signing out, Kim! xxx




No comments:

Post a Comment